Tuesday, March 9, 2010

D.I.Y. - The Modern World: UK Punk II (1976-1977)


The next volume of D.I.Y. is titled The Modern World UK Punk II and, unwieldy title aside, it’s another hit-riddled journey to punk’s dark heart. Band-wise, there is some overlap here, as X-Ray Spex, Wire, The Buzzcocks, The Jam and Generation X re-appear from the previous volume (still no Clash!) They join MRML favourites like Stiff Little Fingers, The Rezillos and 999. Once again there’s no weak tracks, though this volume is less loudfast than before, with Magazine, The Fall, Siouxsie and the Banshees,Subway Sect and The Soft Boys all promising the idea of a more experimental, so called post-punk, sound to come.



{So MRML readers leave us a comment, with your take on the highs and lows of the DIY series.}



D.I.Y. - The Modern World: UK Punk II

7 comments:

  1. This was the first volume of these that I purchased, brilliant stuff it reminds me of the diversity of styles and sounds the punk era threw up and just how stunning it was/is. Fucking glad I never grew up in any other era for sure. Homicide is my fave 999 tune stone cold classic. Jeff mate you keep on bringing the goods to blog land top man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks, your comments kept this series going when I was going to say "Hundreds of d/l's each! No comments!!Fuck This!!!"


    As for 999, I just love that band (a little less so as they soldiered on) even though they never seem to be really in fashion. Like you say, they're a part of our era and were proud of 'em

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a series this good, it has to be a damn good mix to be the best. And I think this is. But I wouldn't stake my life on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no easy go to pick the best - though I prefer the different UK ones, especially the pop ones I'll finish with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This version of Magazine's "Shot by both sides" has a more unrefined sound than many versions on other albums. It would be interesting to know the session information. It almost sounds like what one would have heard from a John Peel session.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great series of compilations. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, the low in the DIY series is the Boston comp....that town just doesn't (didn't?) have enough solid pop-rawk that holds up as well as the other comps....yeah, I know, The Real Kids are great and all, but....

    Also: is there a link for this comp (UK Punk II)?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die