Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Only Ones: Y.G.T.P.

The same Gustav Dore woodcut later ripped off by Skinny Puppy and surely a few wretched death metal bands.

The Only Ones' (see here) third single, "You've Got To Pay" from 1979 is another shot of crystal pure pop, albeit pop from another planet. The song is jaunty and happy in execution but relentlessly bleak in its outlook; the perfect pop paradox (think "You Are My Sunshine" but with heroin instead of moonshine as the drug of forgetting). The B-side, "This Ain’t All (It’s Made Out To Be)", is a solid up-temp rocker,with a big melodic guitar solo in the middle, which was left off of the excellent LP, Even Serpents Shine.

Crank up the volume on this amazing period video!




Download You've Got To Pay 7"

3 comments:

  1. I'll thinking more inner sleeve artwork on a self released one man basement black metal project myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M thinking, I'M thinking.

    Next time I'll preview before I publish. Where's an editor when you need one?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CPB

    Hey Dore is classy, Skinny Puppy less so, Morbid Decapitation et al are rock bottom.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die