Monday, February 1, 2010

V.A. It Came From Inner Space


It Came From Inner Space: The Edmonton Compilation
continues a long line of regionalsitic punk compilations, really vinyl coalitions of different factions of underground music pressed to ensure their survival apart from the major label mafia.



The bands included are an an odd lot and the results sound a bit schizophrenic, like an obscurity-laden iPod on shuffle. The pre-Jr. Gone wild (more here) Malibu Kens rough out their cow-punk style, Down Syndrome thrash out a brittle, metallic hardcore, the pre-Pursuit of Happiness band facecrime ply a lo-fi power-pop, The Touch and the Thieves gun for a more rough-edged eighties pop sound, Route 66 get their kicks in the garage and The Standards carry the mod-punk banner. And then there's S.N.F.U. In 1984, S.N.F.U. were the shit and these two-and-a-half ragers justify the legend. Fuck, I didn't know till I tried to end this that an S.N.F.U. post is needed toute fuckin' suite!


It Came From Inner Space L.P.

7 comments:

  1. What an album! Route 66 (pre-Idyl Tea), the Kens, and facecrime! Yeah, Moe! And I paid much more for this album at HUB in '83than the $3.50 you did at- I'm guessing based on the price tag- Sound Connection. I believe the Standards' tune was my favourite-Thanks for the download- I'm putting the platter on the turntable as soon as I hit Publish. Donald in Red Deer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donald
    Glad to haul you back in time! And while I've never heard Idyl Tea it sure sounds like psych-garage-rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post!
    Never heard of this compilation before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this. I got this comp when I moved to Edmonton in '84 and it was/is amazing. I really miss comps like this that crossed genres for the sake of presenting a comprehensive overview of a scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Davegeek
    Amen to that, amen to that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Death Sentence? You mean Down Syndrome, right?

    Good blog, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn me,
      They played in Winnipeg either together or right after each other and are forver linked in my mind

      thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die