Friday, November 11, 2011

The 222's: I Love Susan 7" (1978)





Thanks to Doug P. for the rip and the scan!


A glam-punk classic from Montreal's first punk band, The 222's  (many of whom went on to be in the 39 Steps (see HERE). "I Love Susan" is a the power-pop number with echoes of the Beach Boys and the Ramones, while "The First Studio Bomb" is the more punky rock n' roll side of things but the band keeps both sides full of unpredictable little breaks.





The 222's Wikipedia entry on the band is a particularly juicy read, as is this great interview with singer, Chris Barry, over at the Montreal Mirror.





If you want to hear some of the band's original demos go visit our friends over at  ISKP.




Finally, for what is an absolutely stunning array of videos for band from this era and this place, go HERE.





Let us know what you think of The 222's in the COMMENTS section (which is where you'll find the I Love Susan 7" link).



Update Chris from the 222's said:

If anyone thinks they might be in Montreal over the weekend of Dec 9-10, 2011, the recently resurrected 222s are gonna be doing a rare gig at le Cabaret Mile End on the 9th, and the following day I'm gonna unleash my new "solo" band on the world at Cafe Campus, Chris Barry's Shaken Babies. The 222s will be doing, uh, strictly 222s material while the Shaken Babies live set is a mix of old 39 Steps and Pillbox [NYC] songs along with some new stuff from my/our forthcoming record. So if you think you're gonna be in Montreal that weekend please come on out to one or both of these gigs.


Support the band




Homepage




MySpace



13 comments:

  1. )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (

    Give us your review of this l'il rarity!

    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (
    )
    (


    http://www.mediafire.com/?b37i6fo88vdgt5l

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be interested to hear this rarity. I really dug their song "Hold Up" on the Punk History Canada comp... hoping this one maintains the same high standard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. I look forward to listening to the download.


    Thanks,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. o.k.....this is Nick 15 minutes later. My wife and I have listened to "I Love Susan" at least 10 times in a row. So catchy- so short- you just want to listen to it over and over again.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice stuff. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool blast of puNk/pop past R.I.P. Cheers to you or whoever turned you on to these guys, Canada always had a very different flavor and some of my all time favorite bands hail from the there (Subhumans, DOA, Dils, Dishrags, Teenage Head, and on and on)
    Thanks jeffen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O.K. I am in LOVE with this song. My wife and I can't stop listening to it. The video only makes it better as well. Many, many thanks for this. I think I may play this song a few times in a row on my radio show this week.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bryn
    hope it did

    Anon
    She's pop-u-lar

    Nick
    Bringing joy to your family makes this post worhtwhile!

    DG
    Glad you liked

    Rev
    True, true, true. I'm really enjoying doing my run of Canadiana here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not listened so much to an album since Seldom Seen Kid. It is truly amazing that talent like this can suddenly emerge almost by accident. Lyrics with bite, beautiful music with vocals that go full bore for the senses. Those lucky enough to have seen her live are giving raves and the venerable BBC are pushing her forward.
    World look out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey everyone, thanks so much for the kind words re: my old bands the 222s and 39 Steps. As I'm sure you can all imagine, it's a pretty nice thing to learn people are starting to discover some of our old records all these years later and really digging them. Outside of maybe having had a little more success at the time they were released, like, what more could a band ask for? So thanks so much for writing about us on this blog in the first place, and thanks again to everyone who left such nice comments about our stuff. Nothing makes me happier. And now, of course, it's time for a little self-promotion. If anyone thinks they might be in Montreal over the weekend of Dec 9-10, 2011, the recently resurrected 222s are gonna be doing a rare gig at le Cabaret Mile End on the 9th, and the following day I'm gonna unleash my new "solo" band on the world at Cafe Campus, Chris Barry's Shaken Babies. The 222s will be doing, uh, strictly 222s material while the Shaken Babies live set is a mix of old 39 Steps and Pillbox [NYC] songs along with some new stuff from my/our forthcoming record. So if you think you're gonna be in Montreal that weekend please come on out to one or both of these gigs. We're gonna need all the people we can get if anyone is ever gonna wanna book us here again. Ha, ha... gulp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sevridge
    Thanks for coming out with a strong onion, even if I'm not sure what it's apropos of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chris
    hey glad you appreciate what we do here and thanks for all the great songs.
    While it's no replacement for some well-deserved success, I did update both posts with the show information you gave me. If you have a scan of the gig poster you could send me, I could do a quick post advertising the show and linking back to these posts. It's not much but we here at MRML like to give back where we can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die