Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Platinum Blonde: Hey, Hey You/ No Regrets (1982)



In my previous Forgotten Rebels post (see HERE), I mentioned how a lot of Canuck punk bands made the break for the mainstream in the mid-eighties without mentioning the one band who actually made it. While Toronto's Platinum Blonde worked as Police cover band (how's that for punk cred!) they also had put out a punky new wave single on their own label in 1982. A year or so later, they'd be topping the charts and carrying on like overbred poodles while this single fell into legend.  I refused to believe this even existed till I read about it in Frank Manley's book, Smash the State but it wasn't till the glorious internet era where I got to actually hear the fucker.




It's a hard-hitting hunk o' vinyl, with "Hey, Hey You" having a dose of Ramones drive and "No Regrets' having more of New York Dolls glam vibe. Neither betrays much Police influence, though that would come soon enough. The single shows the band to have a knack for propulsive, hook-laden song-writing, which would allow some of their chart hits to age better than I would've ever expected.




(Thanks to our anonymous donor for this cool scan of the single's original cover - not the semi-bootleg, pink re-issue featured elsewhere here.)




So. Do Tell. What do you think of this eighties poof-pop band's short-lived punk incarnation? Let us know in the COMMENTS section (where you'll find Hey, Hey You/ No Regrets link).


10 comments:

  1. \

    \

    \

    \

    \

    \

    \

    \


    Hey, Hey, you,MRML readers

    This oddity is surely worth a word to two.

    Let us know what you think.


    \

    \

    \

    \

    \

    \

    \

    \




    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6bzpxs28g112a4a

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hey, Hey You" sounds a bit better to my ears the third time around but it's still a long way away from being a good song. Too bad they couldn't keep up that ratty production for their major label releases.

    Oh and yes, I still love "It Doesn't Really Matter". And "Standing In The Dark" is pretty good to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw these guys in concert at some hotel on Lake Simco. If you closed your eyes, their Police numbers were spot on. They did some original stuff that was quite good as well. Great free show. Later saw an album of theirs in a bargain bin, but didn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Given how much I could not stand Platinum Blonde back in the 80s I am surprised at how much I like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I give you Much Music favourites back in the day ... Platinum Blonde!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this rarity, who knew these fellas made punk before AOR/New Wave?

    Here's a better scan of the cover artwork: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/platinumblonde80.jpg/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments - and thanks for that cool scan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even know this existed. Thanks! ...stacey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this original 45 in the sleeve. Mark Holmes gave it to me we were best buds at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die