Friday, August 5, 2011

Snuff: Live at Kilburn National (1990)


So, I saw Snuff (more HERE) in 1990 when they played at the Royal Albert Arms on a triple bill with Samiam and Nine Pound Hammer. It was a packed, if slightly odd, triple bill and every band had stellar night. It remains likely the best triple bill I've witnessed. Nine Pound Hammer were the odd ones out (Snuff and Samiam being pop-punk touring partners) and while they have since fallen into some disrepute due to the emergence of the more gimmicky Nashville Pussy, they were a shit-kicking live band. Samiam were the subtlest band of the night but their set was taut as hell and watching guitarist James Brogan play those spidery guitar lines was hypnotizing. (Brogan was also in the highly-underrated SoCal hardcore band Social Unrest and when I chatted with him that night he actually remembered that SU's sole show in Winnipeg was at Wellington's, which was only a few doors down from The Albert). Every band punched above their weight but Snuff would get the TKO. That decision would come due to the impressive sight of Redmonds' singing and drumming simultaneously, the band's pitch-perfect sense of humour and they fact that they ran through Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" just so they could say they played a "Winnipeg song".



For more early live Snuff, visit these excellent site: I Vomit 4 U !
no longer forgotten music

So what do you think of Snuff as a live band? Let us know in the COMMENTS section (which is where you'll find the link for the Live at Kilburn National LP.)

Support the band!

MySpace

Interpunk

Fat Wreck-Chords


Amazon

iTunes

5 comments:

  1. Like
    I
    said
    before,
    we're
    discussing
    Snuff
    as
    a
    live
    act,
    so
    don't
    forget
    to
    throw
    in
    your
    two
    cents.


    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g3au5d2u1apbkox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got the chance to see Snuff. They were supposed to play in Dallas, TX with Samiam but for some reason they did not play. Years later they played several hours south in Austin, but my interest waned by then so I did not go. In hindsight, I am not sure if I made the correct decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They year before this, myself and my mate Seumas helped them out with Purple Haze when they played in Perth. Spent the time onstage being amazed at Duncan's ability to sing and drum at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. convertido
    I've done that SO many times, missed a good band just because I'd (temporarily) gone of them.

    Zak
    Welcome...

    str8edgegav
    Damn that must've been a great show to be at (and join in).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die