Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ned's Atomic Dustbin: Kill Your Television


Somewhere between the C-86 movement and the Madchester (a.k.a. 'baggy' ) scene, there was a little British punk revival in the late 80's. Bands like Mega City Four, Red Letter Day, Senseless Things et al toured the country in ratty t-shirts, put out seven inches and kept the guitars and tempos rared up. Though they came to North American shores on the heels of The Stone Roses, The Charlatans and The Happy Mondays, Ned's Atomic Dustbin never sounded much like part of that so-called "second summer of love", after all their most memorable song is called "Kill Your Television".




Don't forget to leave a comment with your take on Ned's Atomic Dustbin


Speaking of comments, that is where you find the Kill Your Television link



Get some Neds:


Homepage


MySpace


Amazon


iTunes

11 comments:

  1. .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    Hey hey!

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    Don't forget a comment!

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .


    http://www.mediafire.com/?y79wcxuy909j9r1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea where my 'Bite' album is, so thanks again for this one Jeffen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. always thought they had a few good songs but nothing outstanding. I think I will give them another listen. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. i believe this scene was known as 'fraggle rock' here in the UK. (after a kids muppet show offshoot)
    most of them bands looked like the fraggles (skinny/raggedy with big fluffy troll hair)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeffen,

    Thanks for this!!

    @ Anon - The movement (if you like) was known as "Grebo" it was a term used to describe bands like The Wonder Stuff, Neds, PWEI etc. Much like the EMO movement of today or the Punk movement of the 70's. It was used to describe a particular look (check out pics of NED's and The Wonderstuff to see what I mean). While it wasn't a hughe movement like the afformentioned Emo it still made it's mark in the late 80's early 90's

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anon & Lee:

    Funny, I always thought of Zodiac Mindwarp and the Gaye Bykers were "Grebo", while the Neds and Stuffies -except for the Bass Thing- would have been more "Baggy" by my reckoning...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankf for all your comments ("Fraggle Rock" made me laugh!)

    Anon
    I'm with Bio on this one, I always thought "grebo" was more "Rock" and less "Pop".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re "grebo", it depends where you come from. In the UK midlands where these bands were from, the fans (myself included) where definitely grebos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, now I have something I didn't have before: a fully-balanced understanding of the word 'grebo!
    I love blogging!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die