Saturday, June 16, 2012

Houseboat: 21st Century Breakroom (2012)


NYC's Houseboat have gone and put out a concept 10"! Despite echoing Green Day in title and concept (and Robert Crumb in the artwork) this 9:58 epic reminds me of the promise of the Grath Madden's early work in The Steinways and Short Attention. Love Houseboat (who also feature  Zack, Ace, Mike!) as I do, the band's move towards slightly more conventional song-writing has given short-shrift to Grath's brilliant use of the sub-thirty second song. Well that skill is in full-effect here on this 'piece', which veers from pretty to harsh but remains consistently catchy, witty and self-loathing ("You may think I'm an asshole but that's only some of the time").





Let us know what you think of this new Houseboat!


4 comments:

  1. I love the "Processing Complaints" 7-inch but so far that's the only House Boat record that I've really been able to get into.

    Although... I haven't listened to this one all the way through yet, I'm too easily distracted I guess.

    Pretty much every Steinways record is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the best thing Grath has done since the Steinways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH GOD! thats the longest Houseboat I've ever heard. that said its still a pretty good song and it's produced by The Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who'd have guessed going long would go so well for them.

      Delete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die