Sunday, June 10, 2012

Joey Ramone: Last Show (2000)



I was at school. A student knocked on my door and blurted out, "Joey Ramone died!" The sense of loss hit me immediately, probably more than any other musical death I'd experienced. I'd admired Joey, hell looked up to him, since I was fourteen and now he was gone and so quickly. In Joey, I saw a reflection of my own awkwardness and that of a friend who'd taken his own life. Losing someone in whom you see part of yourself, a part of your community churns up your guts, leaving a feeling of upset that never totally goes away.

Before Joey Ramone (more HERE) died in the spring of 2001, he did play one last show in New York City, which, judging by the Chritmas-y set list, was probably in December 2000. The backing band, I believe, consists of Marky Ramone, Andy Shernoff and Daniel Rey. Though, as you can tell, I don't have all the precise details on this final performance (anyone?), I'd like to offer it to you as a way to fill a bit of the Joey-sized void so many of us share.





Readers,
How did you react when you heard Joey had died?


Support the artist

Homepage

Facebook

MySpace

iTunes

14 comments:

  1. We hope you enjoyed this series on the late Joey Ramone.
    In parting, please leave us some of your final thoughts on Joey.
    https://rapidshare.com/files/4011670523/JR_Lst_Shw_2000.rar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt sad, not only that he died, but that the music was gone. No Joey, no Ramones either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Daniel Rey coulda replaced Johnny but nobody could replace Joey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cried... Felt an even bigger void inside, Put my four favorite Ramones albums in these frames for Vinyl records I had on my wall and pretty much retreated into a depression for a couple of days. Its weird I haven't been able to listen to the new CD yet, I think i need to be in the right mood, I think ill listen to your series of posts first then give it a go. Plus the day he died being Easter Sunday somehow seemed perfect cause I believe in Joey Ramone I don't believe jesus rose from the dead, Now the day holds real meaning for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still kinda hope Joey and Jesus are hanging out together - those two long-haired influential outcasts would get along like mad I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. I learned he died when I heard the Howard Stern show, so it was probably the next day...I remember telling my boss (also a Ramones fan) that Joey had passed and his response was "What'd he die of, being ugly?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny line - but it musta come a bit soon.

      Delete
  6. I cried, and stood and saluted him. Last September, I saw Ronnie Spector, and, after the show, told her how much her deep friendship with Joey had meant to me. She got misty and said, "Nobody can ever forget Joey."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Nobody can ever forget Joey."
      You have my word we will not.

      Delete
  7. I sat on my balls in church last week. getting old is HELL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Was In Las Vegas For The "Rockabilly Weekend" Event.I Woke Up Early And Wandered Down To The Lobby,Where Two Older Gents Who Worked For The Hotel Said "Didja Hear...Joey Ramone Died!" To Which The Other Replied;"That's A REAL Shame...The Kids all Loved Him"Joey Affected Everyone With His Talent & Very Being.I Still Miss Him Terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was out West, actually in Death Valley, when I heard the news, and I happened to be wearing my Ramones shirt at the time. I also closely identified with Joey, in part because of his OCD.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die