Saturday, September 22, 2012

Every Vinyl Lover's Dream Pt. 1



"So I need to get rid of two huge boxes of records, can you help me out?"

Tell me that's a question that most of you wouldn't answer in the Hell-Yes-affirmative?

I actually bet a lot of the hold-outs among you would change you mind pretty quick if you saw what was in those boxes!

The man's collection was nothing if not eclectic: soul, celtic, punk, rockabilly, classical, new wave, swing, ska, mod, garage, funk, psychedelic, Indian, Spanish, reggae, R & B, folk, pop, spirituals, hardcore, hard rock, industrial and it just keeps diversifying. Amazing really, especially as my own collection's is so comparatively narrow.

I will get a cut in one way or another, of course. My first instinct was to take a slice for myself and just pop down to the local vinyl store and be done with the rest of it. But the quality and depth of this collection make forming a plan a necessity. I mean, there are things in here that, to the best of my knowledge have never been digitized (more on that list later, I promise) and I can't let such a historical find slip by undocumented. So, I will be keeping some, ripping some and, finally, selling some in different places. I spent a a year buying people's vinyl collections, so trust me when I say that everyone's definition of 'the cream' of this crop will differ. I will be giving you updates on the blog and even if such vinyl excavations are unappealing, the rips that result from this will be very cool indeed. So please encourage this project with a word or two in the COMMENTS section.




Possible cuts for me include the above. The Subhumans Incorrect Thoughts (Friends Records version) is staying with me forever (yes, it's the same copy I wrote about HERE) as is the 999 Concrete. The MDC 7" is also surely a keeper as is the NMA Vengeance and the Nils S/T. We'll see about the rest....


Current listening:


Earlier this morning listening:




Happily this mildly momentous moment coincides with me finally connecting my stero to my computer. So, while ripping is still a time-intensive task (for me anyways) that I do  not adore, I will make sure you all share in this bounty in some way.


HEY,
ANY STORIES OF
LUCKY VINYL FINDS?
LET US KNOW IN
THE COMMENTS 
SECTION!

19 comments:

  1. for ever-y vinyl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ripping vinyl will always be time intensive.

    Especially if you have to clean up the tracks because of wear & tear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now it's worse because I can't figure out how to get the input from the amplifier to be recorded onto the computer.
      I ripped a track as an experiment this summer and it worked great but now I've lost the trick.
      Grrrrrrrr!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on bagging this great collection. Colour me green! How do you keep your cool in that situation?

    In 1972 at the height of T.Rextasy I found a copy of 'Desdemona' by John's Children in a picture sleeve and in excellent condition on an East London market stall, on sale for pennies. I was 12 years old and very nearly spontaneously combusted! Still got it.

    I look forward to hearing more details of the contents of this amazing haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Desdemona'! I would have fainted.

      Delete
    2. John's Children were a cool band, one of the Radio Stars was in that band too, I believe.

      Delete
  4. I've never been so fortunate as this collection sounds fabulous but I can confirm that I, for one, have had a genuinely recurring dream about such finds for many years. Yes, I suppose that is a bit sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kinda like a weird dream, now that you mention it...

      Delete
  5. By the way, I have an enduring love for that second album by The Beat, even though it's not well respected by 'the critics'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jeffen

    I will keep my vinyl collection until I drop.The very first 45 I bought was Elvis Presley 'You're The Devil In Disguise'.The first LP was Johnny Horton 'Greatest Hits'.I still have both.Man ... where did 50 years go!

    I rarely play my vinyl today but it feels good to know I could.

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Elvis Presley 'You're The Devil In Disguise'...Johnny Horton 'Greatest Hits'.

      That's wicked one-two punch - While Elvis' greatness is never in doubt Johnny Horton doesn't get the respect he deserves.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to you posting the Swallowing Shit tracks on that "Limited Options...Sold As Noble Endeavors" comp. More grind on MRML I say, more grind!

    CallPastorJerkface

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck with the rips - look forward to the results

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to complete my teenage record collection (because I can). Ebay, a ION Record Player and Stu Daye's Free Parking was the final piece to the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been waiting to connect the entire stereo to the computer in order to be able to do cassettes as well.

      Delete
  10. So many stories, most of which will only interest me! A few choice ones- a) while in grade 12 I did a month student exchange in Montreal, and my visit coincided with my first ever record collector fair- for a small town kid, it was unbelievable- I still have some of the albums- a Springsteen promo album (something like As requested around the world) the picture disc of Lene Lovich and Rachel Sweet albums...it was an amazing experience b) more recently, and similar to your experience- I have a bunch of records to get rid of...drove an hour out of my way, not really expecting too much- lots of fluff (Phil Collins, 80s soundtracks) but some wonderful things too- Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Jarre, the Stones singles box set, very early Clannad, and dozens more. I have a hard time not stopping at garage sales- never know when you'll find an Ohama album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you only need a brilliant find every few years to keep you hooked forever!

      Delete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die