Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What Did You Buy This Week? (09/03/12)





Programming Notes:

1) This irregular "whad'ya buy?" series (more HERE) have been generating lots of positive feedback - please keep us up to speed on your purchases in the COMMENTS section!

2) Speaking of irregular series; the Helen Love (which is in jeopardy as of now), The Vapors (shortly) the political tirades (sorry but not really) and The Fastbacks (coming up!) will be rolling out but in a bit more spread out manner.


Did I promise to cut down this week?

Well, actually despite the strange array of ephemera pictured above, I only spent $4.00 on music this week.

The Mercy River (country-gospel with a few sharp covers alongside some more dire originals) and The Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD's (three strong hits to open, three filler songs to drag the middle down and the band's three best songs for the climax) were the 'big ticket' items, amounting to four-and change at the local thrift Store. Neither of them will get much play on my stereo (or on this blog!) but they might make decent Glove Box albums (see HERE) or get sold.


The  Deja Voodoo sticker (for a show that I saw!), the 1959 cash-in edition of  Allan Ginsberg's Howl (with the introduction by Willaim Carlos Williams) was a gift from the friend I helped move this weeekend, both of which he slipped into a plastic comic bag with the re-print of The Freak Brotheres which is...god I HATE the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and and the vapid stoner culture they helped codify!

On a happier note, he also gave me two J Church (more HERE) CD-EP's Yellow, Blue and Green and Tide of Fate (more on those at some point). That same friend passed me The Mangees Rocket To You CD-R and an altogether different friend gave The Dinks, Dawn of The Dinks CD. "Hallelujah, It's Raining Pop-Punk!"








So, please tell us what music you've bought recently in the COMMENTS section (and fell free to leave a link, if you're so inclined).

12 comments:

  1. I have always loved the J-Church cover of "Cool Guitar Girl" on the Tide of Fate ep.

    J-Church was so prolific that they had a lot of misses, but goddamn, they had a ton of hits as well to go with those misses. I love J-Church and find that when I start listening to them, it usually ends up with me listening to nothing by J-Church for the next few weeks.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when my J-Church infatuation fires back up!
      I've got some stuff coming up...

      Delete
  2. Hey Jeffen

    Looks like you had another good week and very reasonable too.In honour of the True Blood Season 5 finale I bought Season 4 on DVD.

    Helen Love series in 'jeopardy' ... say it is not so!

    And ... I have been looking through the Bear Family Catalogue ... this is dangerous as in expensive!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I bought the first three Cash sets but they were almost overwhelming. (The Roger Miller one, on the other, hand suffers from NOT being a box set).
      if the HL gets cancelled, I'll make sure you're not left lacking Love!

      Delete
  3. Dave Kusworth & The Bounty Hunters' "Wives, Weddings & Roses" and Artifical Peace's "Complete Session Novemeber 81'" make for a nice combo of glammy English rock n' roll and take-no-shit American hardcore.

    CallPastorJerkface

    ReplyDelete
  4. You HATE the FREAK BROTHERS???????????wow, Just wow....so I'm guessing you won't ne wanting me to share the entire series with you? Hate the Brutthas, wowwee zowwee.....too each thier own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Scott.
      Sorry, it's stoner culture it just does nothing for me. No knock on anybody on who likes it, I suppose you could say I just don't get it.

      Delete
  5. UV Race "S/T", The Fighting League "Tropical Paradise" and V/A - "The Southern Psychedelic Experience" (comp of Flying Nun Material from the 80s).


    Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should check SPE out, I'm intrigued by FN stuff but I don't usually know where to start.

      Delete
  6. Whatever your feelings are about the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, you gotta love Fat Freddy's Cat, the anti-Garfield.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for clicking the COMMENTS link.
Now that you're here,I should mentions that
without reader feedback blogs slowly wither and die